Introduction Audio What's New? Movie Clips Downloads Making Waves Interaction Writings Film Info Websites Historical Info Experiences Image Gallery Merchandise Artwork B2T Games Music Guestbook

Today in Titanic History - with Searching
Today in
Titanic History

Tuesday, October 22, 2024
1886 - 1st class survivor Mr George Achilles Harder was born to Victor Achilles Harder and Minnie Mehl Harder in New York City, New York, USA.

1974 - 2nd class survivor Mrs Antonine Marie Mallet died in Paris, France at the age of 86.

1888 - 3rd class passenger Mr Nils Martin Ödahl was born to Ola Öhdal and Hanna Nilsson.

1887 - 3rd class passenger Mr René Aimé Lievens was born in Heldergem, Belgium.

1926 - Able Seaman and survivor Mr William Henry Lionel Weller died in a shipwreck at the age of 44.

search other dates

Help B2T stay afloat!

Shop at Cafepress
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
more Titanic designs




Starting Anew: Chapter 24, On to Chicago


Rated PG-13
© 1999 Shirley @ SDL747@aol.com
based on some characters
and situations originated by James Cameron

"Next," called the clerk behind the window grill at the ticket counter.

Jack with Rose at his side stepped up to the man.

"Where are you folks heading," he asked.

"We want to go to Chicago. There's two of us."

The man studied the young couple for a minute. They were a hard pair to figure out. They couldn't have much money. Yet the woman looked so fine and elegant, even in her simple skirt and blouse.

"I wonder if they are eloping," thought the bald-headed railroad clerk.

"Okay, that's the Century. Leaves here at 12:40 P.M. and gets into Chicago tomorrow morning at 9:30 A.M. You folks want one of those staterooms or a sleeper section?"

Jack only wished that he could take Rose to Chicago in a grand style. Instead he asked,

"How much is the section?"

"Well now that will cost you $36." The clerk scratched his head and explained, "That's $12 each for the berths and $6 for the Pullman fares."

"We just need the one berth," said Jack, somewhat embarrassed.

"Sorry, can't do that. It's railroad policy. Only one person to a berth."

The clerk looked at the couple after he said this. They were so young and obviously in love. But he could take no chances with his job. He had to follow the rules.

"Alright," sighed Jack, as he counted out the money.

"Listen, son," whispered the clerk, "don't see that it makes no difference f one of you isn't tall enough to climb up there though."

He winked at Jack and handed him the tickets. Then he smiled at Rose. She was a rare beauty. That was for sure.

"You folks ever been on the Twentieth Century Limited?"he asked, eager to stare at Rose a bit longer.

"No we haven't,"said Jack as he tucked the tickets in his jacket.

"Well, let me tell you, you're in for a treat. Big plush seats, steak for dinner, electric light to read by, steam heat. Why I've heard it's as fancy as an ocean liner, like that fancy one that just sank, the Titanic?"

Rose cast her head to the side and Jack's mouth twitched. Neither one wanted to call attention to themselves by making any comments, but they wondered if this was going to go on forever. Would Titanic's sinking overshadow every move they made?

The clerk adjusted his glasses and went on,

"Yes, sir, that was a shame. All those folks. Freezing to death. Can't imagine what that must have been like."

Jack was eager to be on his way. He could see that Rose looked pale.

"No, no, I'm sure you can't,"he said somewhat stiffly. "Well, we need to get going. Thanks for the information."

The clerk took a chance and said,

"Your wife there gonna be okay?"

Jack took Rose by the arm and started to lead her away. He turned his head back to the clerk,

"Yeah, yes, she'll be fine. We just need to get some breakfast."

"Oh, Jack, I am so tired of this,"said Rose, drawing her hand across her forehead. "I am beginning to think that this will be with us all our lives. My God, we'll all probably be dead and buried and they'll still be digging this subject up."

"I think so too, Rose. Come on, we need to get some food." He glanced around the waiting room until he spotted what he was looking for.

"See," he pointed, "there's a little coffee shop over in the corner."

The steel arched ceiling soared above them as they crossed to the other side of the station. There were crowds of people all carrying suitcases and bags. Here and there a few travelers had found a seat on the polished wood benches.

"Excuse me, sir."

Jack looked around to see who was speaking. The only person in sight was a young black man in a blue uniform. Then Jack realized that he was the one being referred to as sir.

"Can I take your bags for you sir?" the porter asked.

"Ah, yeah, I guess so,"answered Jack, a little reluctantly.

"What car are you in?"

Jack was struggling to pull the tickets out of his pocket. He felt for the moment rather inept and inexperienced. This was more than he had bargained for. Having someone carry his bags was an entirely new concept to him.

"Here, let's see.."

Jack studied the pale green slips of paper.

"Looks like we're in car 225, section C."

The porter nodded.

"I'll get them on the train for you. Here, let me take them."

Rose stood behind the porter, frantically motioning with her hands and moving her mouth. At last Jack understood what she meant.

Jack pulled a few coins from his pocket.

"Here, thanks very much," he said, handing the money to the man.

"Oh yes sir," said the porter as he tipped his cap. "Thanks very much, sir."

At last they made their way to the coffee shop and found an empty table in a corner.

"You know Rose,"Jack said as he pulled out a chair for her, "I don't know if I will ever get used to this, giving tips and all that. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was the one struggling to make a few cents helping people."

She smiled at him.

"Come on, sit down,"as she patted the chair next to her. "You will. You're doing fine."

Jack ordered two fried eggs and bacon and Rose asked the waitress for tea and toast.

He looked at her worriedly.

"Is that all you're going to eat?"

"I'm not very hungry Jack. I just don't know how you can eat now and then again on the train when they serve lunch."

He laughed and looked at her.

"Remember all the energy I used last night?"

She blushed. How could she forget last night? It certainly had been a memorable wedding night. And apparently she had not disappointed Jack.

The waitress brought their food and they started eating. After a few bites, Rose put her teacup down and took some deep breaths. Jack looked over at her with concern.

"What's wrong? You've hardly touched the little food you've got there. Come on, I don't want you to get sick now Rose. What is it?"

He looked alarmed as he grabbed her hand.

"Oh, Jack, I feel so dizzy and warm. And my stomach is just rolling." She stopped and put her other hand on her chest.

"It must be the excitement Jack,"she said as she swallowed trying to keep her food down.

"Look, Rose, I'm going to ask for some ice. I've heard that kind of freezes your stomach and settles things down."

Jack watched Rose while they waited for the ice. He wondered just what was going on. She had never been queasy on the ship. A nagging idea slowly began to build in the back of his mind. Jack had eavesdropped enough at his mother's tea socials, so that he was not totally ignorant of what went on with women. He knew one reason why she could be feeling this way. But maybe she really was just excited about getting started on their trip.

Rose took the ice and chewed on several pieces.

"Is that a little better?" Jack asked.

She nodded. Her stomach was settling down. This was the second time is as many days that she had felt this way. Yesterday she had thought it was wedding nerves. She was beginning to wonder if indeed it was something more.

"I can't let whatever this is spoil our trip,"she thought.

She took another piece of ice. Determined to be cheerful, she gave him a smile. With that he looked back at her relieved.

There was a loud whistling sound. They both looked around to see what was happening. Someone was making an announcement.

"Now boarding on Track 34, the Twentieth Century Limited for Chicago. Stopping at Albany, Utica, Buffalo and all points west."

"This is it. Time to head out for the horizon."

"Oh Jack, I can't believe we're finally going. Maybe getting away from here will make me feel better."

He quickly paid the bill and they joined the line of people waiting to board the train.

"It'll be alright now," Jack encouraged. "Things will be better, you'll see. We'll get away from here. We're gonna make it Rose. Come on."

Suddenly she felt as though a thousand pounds had been lifted from her shoulders. Jack's words had filled her heart with courage. She felt alive and even her rollercoaster stomach had quieted down.

"That's what I love about you Jack. You're so positive. optimistic."

He squeezed her hand bent his head down to kiss her.

The metal gates were unlocked and the throng moved down the stairs to the tracks. They glanced at each other trying hard to block out the memory of some other locked gates. They were both determined not to let another Titanic memory spoil their day.

As they walked along the platform looking for their car number, Rose started feeling more like her old self. The spirit of their adventure was making her feel bold. She reached up to whisper in Jack's ear. He stopped for a minute and laughed heartily.

"Rose, you really are impossible. If that will make you happy, we can do it wherever you want."

Jack lay in the berth with Rose snuggled against him. He could tell from her breathing that she was sleeping soundly. He on the other hand, was having a restless night and had been awake for several hours. While he felt the gentle rocking of the wheels beneath him and listened to the haunting whistle from the engine, Jack was silently berating himself for his past actions.

He was thinking about the possibility that Rose might be pregnant. If she was, it was probably too soon even for her to know for sure. He did not think she was purposely concealing anything. And since they had only been married a few hours, it had to have happened that night on Titanic.

Jack ran his fingers through his hair.

"My God, what was I thinking of. What if I had not survived? She would have been left alone to raise a baby."

And if she had gone to Hockley, the horrors were unimaginable. His child would have been raised as Cal's or worse still, Cal in his infinite cruelty, could have had the pregnancy terminated.

Jack thought of the women he had known in the last few years. Oh there had been some exotic ladies and beautiful girls. But he had not entered into a relationship with any of them. And for this very reason, that he had feared something like this happening. He just hadn't wanted to become involved. Now this one special woman had come into his life. She might be carrying his child. And because of his stupidity, he could have ruined her life. On that night, his usual good judgement had failed him. He had led with his heart, not his head and let everything get out of control. Despite Rose's request in the back of the car, HE should have known better. He thought of the woman in Chippewa Falls who had been like a second mother to him. She would be so disappointed in him if she ever found out.

As the little towns passed and the lights reflected on the drawn shades, Jack's thoughts were still whirling. Of course now that he and Rose were married, it was a little better. But still, deep down he was afraid. Afraid of so many things.

"What if Rose is not ready to be a mother?"he asked himself. "Then what?"

"And what do I know about being a father? Do I have the kind of patience Dad did? And can I share Rose with another person?"

In the dim light he could just make out her delicate face and hear her soft breathing. She was lovely even when she was asleep.

"God, what was I thinking?"

Rose twisted around in the confines of the berth. Unknowingly she tugged at one of his hands and together with hers, it came to rest on her abdomen. Jack laid his head against her shoulder, taking in the sweet scent of her hair. As always, it acted as a tonic to soothe his mind.

"Well maybe if this is to be, it'll all work out,"he thought, some of his optimism slowly returning.

He gripped her hand a little tighter and with his other hand, turned his warm pillow to the cool side. He finally allowed his body to relax against the crisp sheets and he began to drift off to sleep, half wondering what a child of theirs would look like.






about back-to-titanic.com | contact us