Introduction Audio What's New? Movie Clips Downloads Making Waves Interaction Writings Film Info Websites Historical Info Experiences Image Gallery Merchandise Artwork B2T Games Music Guestbook

Today in Titanic History - with Searching
Today in
Titanic History

Tuesday, October 22, 2024
1886 - 1st class survivor Mr George Achilles Harder was born to Victor Achilles Harder and Minnie Mehl Harder in New York City, New York, USA.

1974 - 2nd class survivor Mrs Antonine Marie Mallet died in Paris, France at the age of 86.

1888 - 3rd class passenger Mr Nils Martin Ödahl was born to Ola Öhdal and Hanna Nilsson.

1887 - 3rd class passenger Mr René Aimé Lievens was born in Heldergem, Belgium.

1926 - Able Seaman and survivor Mr William Henry Lionel Weller died in a shipwreck at the age of 44.

search other dates

Help B2T stay afloat!

Shop at Cafepress
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
more Titanic designs




Starting Anew: Chapter 30, The Old Dawson Place, Part 2


Rated PG-13
© 1999 Shirley @ SDL747@aol.com
based on some characters
and situations originated by James Cameron

Anders led Rose up the steps and into the storybook house. Rose looked around as she went in. This place was like nothing she had ever seen before. While the house had unfinished, but clean wood floors, there were touches of grace and elegance everywhere.

To the left of the front door was the parlor. Rose glimpsed an ancient and ornate grandfather clock ticking away. It was painted in an ivory hue, and trimmed in pale blue, green and gold. The furniture was painted white and covered with pillows that were covered in blue and white fabric. Here and there were touches of olive green and salmon colored accessories.

Straight ahead of the door was a stairway. Anders led her to the right, into a dining room. A large glass vase stood in the middle of the table,holding a single lilac branch.

Rose held her breath. What an interesting combination of simplicity and elegance. There was a wrought iron chandelier, that held long white tapers, hanging over the table. The walls were covered with wallpaper, the pattern of which was a tiny olive green stripe.

Rose had never felt so at home anywhere in her entire life. The aroma that passed through her nose, was one of baked bread, roasted meat, cooked potatoes and a sweet smell she could not identify. The whole experience was like living in a pleasant dream.

"This way, Rose,"said Anders. "My Amanda is here in the kitchen. Amanda, we have visitors,"he called out.

They entered the kitchen and there in front of the stove was the tiniest woman Rose had seen. Amanda was about five feet tall. She had fine blond hair that was tied back with a black ribbon. Her eyes were bright like those of a small bird and she had a small round mouth, that moved into a smile, when she saw Rose.

"Valkommen,"she said to Rose, offering her hand. "Welcome to our house."

"Thank you,"replied Rose, graciously.

Rose's husband grew up here,"explained Anders.

"Then we want you to feel especially welcome here,"said Amanda.

Both Anders and Amanda spoke good English, though once in a while they reverted to a word here or there in their native tongue. Rose had no trouble understanding them and was enchanted with their melodic accents.

"Where is your husband?"asked Amanda, looking around the room.

Anders answered for Rose, sensing that this was a difficult subject. "He went to the graves…..alone."

"Oh, yes, of course,"Amanda said understandingly. "Here, Rose, komma har and sit down and we drink kaffe together, while we wait for him." She motioned for Rose to sit down at the big kitchen table.

While Anders went about getting cups and the coffee pot, Amanda asked, "Where are you from?"

"I'm from the East,"answered Rose, "and of course, Jack is from here. We met,"and then Rose stopped.

She looked at Anders and Amanda. They were such trusting, friendly people. Yes, she would tell them her story.

"Jack and I met on Titanic. We fell in love, at first sight really. He saved my life in more than one way. Anyway, we got married and here we are. A lady we met on the ship has helped us out, lent us some money and arranged for some work in Denver. That's where we are headed."

Anders and Amanda nodded their heads, as Rose spoke of the Titanic. They were in awe of meeting someone who had survived that terrible ordeal.

"Ach, yaw, the Titanic,"said Anders. "Who has not heard about that. Too many dead and so many immigrants."

"Yes, "said Rose quietly. "I think that night will be with us forever."

"I can imagine so,"said Amanda. "We were lucky. We had such a good time coming to America. We danced the whole way here. My friend Hannah wore out a pair of shoes."

Rose smiled. "Jack and I really got to know each other at one of those dances. It was one of the best nights of my life."

Anders and Amanda looked at each other and smiled knowingly.

"How long have you lived here,"asked Rose. "Your home is so lovely and your things are so beautiful."

"Manga tack,"said Anders. "Thanks. We've been here now for four years. We had a little help coming here. Amanda's father has a bank in Kalmar. He gave us the money to buy this place. Some of these things here we had sent from her grandmother's home.

Rose nodded pretending to know exactly where Kalmar was and she was interested as well to find out that she and Jack were not the only young couple in the world to have had help getting started.

"You built all this, by yourself?"Rose inquired.

"No, not by myself. My cousin, Thor, lives down near Eau Claire. He helped me. In fact, he was the one who found out about this place. I guess the man who owned the property felt it was bad luck, after the Dawson's died here, so he put it up for sale. We wanted to come to America so we bought it. Anyway, Thor and some of his friends came and helped us build.I wanted to make it like a house from Sweden, so my Amanda does not feel so homesick."

Amanda gave her husband a pat on the hand. "Yes, Anders takes such good care of me. Every morning he brings me coffee in bed."

Rose smiled at them. She was sorry that she and Jack were moving on. Now she had met two women that she would have loved to have as neighbors. First, Nora in New York, and now Amanda.

She looked up at the clock in the kitchen.

"Jack's been gone awhile. Maybe I should go see if her is alright."

"Yaw,"said Amanda. "It's time. But first come with me."

Amanda led Rose out into the yard. There Rose saw a barn. While the barn was painted the same color as the house, the style of the building did not match the house. She assumed that it must be the original barn. There were several large lilac bushes still in bloom. They had fragrant dark purple blossoms. Amanda broke off several branches.

"Here, put these on the graves. These were Edy Dawson's lilacs. She should have some today. Usually I go up with flowers every week, but you do it."

Rose stood with the flowers in her hand. She thought about how kind these two people were. They didn't even know Jack's parents, yet they tended their graves, as if they were their own relatives.

"You didn't even know them, yet you are so thoughtful,"said Rose.

"I heard many stories about what kind people they were and then there is the sad story about how their son went away. So I try and take care of them."

Rose was so moved that she reached out and gave Amanda a hug.

"Thank you,"she told her.

"Now, you go to your Jack. He needs you. When you come back in a while, I will have lunch ready,"said Amanda, giving her an encouraging smile.

Rose smiled back and then summoned all her courage as she headed up the hill.






about back-to-titanic.com | contact us