Introduction Audio What's New? Movie Clips Downloads Making Waves Interaction Writings Film Info Websites Historical Info Experiences Image Gallery Merchandise Artwork B2T Games Music Guestbook

Today in Titanic History - with Searching
Today in
Titanic History

Tuesday, October 22, 2024
1886 - 1st class survivor Mr George Achilles Harder was born to Victor Achilles Harder and Minnie Mehl Harder in New York City, New York, USA.

1974 - 2nd class survivor Mrs Antonine Marie Mallet died in Paris, France at the age of 86.

1888 - 3rd class passenger Mr Nils Martin Ödahl was born to Ola Öhdal and Hanna Nilsson.

1887 - 3rd class passenger Mr René Aimé Lievens was born in Heldergem, Belgium.

1926 - Able Seaman and survivor Mr William Henry Lionel Weller died in a shipwreck at the age of 44.

search other dates

Help B2T stay afloat!

Shop at Cafepress
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
more Titanic designs




Starting Anew: Chapter 38, Uncertain Introduction


Rated PG-13
© 1999 Shirley @ SDL747@aol.com
based on some characters
and situations originated by James Cameron

"This way, Rose,"said Jay, as he led the way into the house.

Rufus galloped ahead of them circling Golden Moon and Jack. Golden Moon turned looked at the stranger who entered with Jay. The person that was more than a friend to Jack.

"So, Blue Hawk, you will introduce me to our guest?"asked Golden Moon.

Rose looked puzzled. Who was Blue Hawk? She must mean Jack. Then slowly Rose realized why she might have used such a name. While this woman was dressed in conventional clothing, there was no mistaking her background. Her long straight hair, golden skin and dark eyes, told of her Native American heritage. She appeared ageless, but Rose guessed that she must be between about 40 and 45 years old. Rose noticed the quiet way she spoke and the grace with which she carried herself.

The two women studied each other. Golden Moon admired Rose's hair and outer beauty. But she felt sure that there burned a fire deep within her. Jack would not have chosen to be with someone lacking spirit. Rose looked at Golden Moon, her thoughts very confused. Her mother had always tolerated the Irish help and they had come across black servants when they had traveled. But Ruth had always spoken with great disdain about the forbidden races and their undesirable characteristics. Untrustworthy, unclean, uneducated. Those were among the many adjectives that Ruth had used to describe people different from herself. Now Rose stood in a sparkling clean house, looking into the intelligent eyes of a neat, articulate woman. She glanced around the room and saw lovely pieces of pottery and woven rugs. Rose glanced back at Golden Moon and smiled nervously.

Golden Moon could read the girl's thoughts. She knew that most of the white eyes had low opinions of The People and their ways. She had lived among them now for twenty five years and while she was accepted in this place, it was not the same everywhere. She was almost certain that Blue Hawk's woman had already been indoctrinated with some of these ideas. Yet he was not the type of person who tolerated prejudice in others. Maybe she was different from the rest. She would give her the benefit of the doubt.

"Golden Moon,"said Jack, almost reverently, " I would like you to meet my wife, Rose."

"Your wife,"exclaimed Golden Moon. She looked at Jack and said, "You are indeed like your animal spirit guides, Jack. I named you well, for the hawk has a bold heart."

Rose watched this interaction with her mind spinning. Jack had said that he and Jay were close and hadn't Jay mentioned that his mother had a soft spot in her heart for Jack? He acted in awe of this woman and treated her with a special respect. She had not seen her self-assured Jack act in awe of anyone.

"Rose, I want to welcome you to our home. Tonight we will celebrate Jack's return with his bride. What do you think, Jack?"asked Golden Moon.

"Oh, yes, we will be happy to stay and have a good visit. We've got five years to catch up on,"he answered, happily.

"But first, I want to get to know your wife better,"said Golden Moon.

She held out her hand to Rose. Would she recoil at touching one of The People?

"Come Rose, I need to go to the creek and see if there are any early berries. Would you like to come with me?"

Rose looked at Jack, who said nothing, but simply nodded his head in approval. She looked at Golden Moon and her outstretched hand. Slowly she extended her hand to the woman.

Golden Moon smiled and said again, "Come, Rose. We will let Blue Hawk and Stands Tall visit and talk over old times."

Rose looked around the room for another person. Golden Moon understood her confusion.

"Stands Tall is Jay's other name. It is because he stands tall with my people and his father's people,"Golden Moon explained.

"Oh,"said Rose, feeling quite ignorant.

As Golden Moon led Rose from the room, she began talking to her.

"I will tell you about Blue Hawk's name and we will find one for you as well."

They walked through the kitchen and she continued her conversation.

"We will bathe in the creek and make you a proper bride for Blue Hawk."

Rose's eyes opened wide and her mind started spinning again. Bathe in the creek, with another person? What did this woman have in mind? She had no idea what was in store for her, but obviously Jack trusted her and wanted her to go with Golden Moon. She did not know whether to be scared, nervous or curious. But there was not way out. She had to go with Golden Moon.

Jay and Jack smiled at each other as the two women left the room.

"Did you see the look on Rose's face,"said Jay. "She looked like a sheep being led to the slaughter. I wonder what stories of The People she heard when she was growing up?"

"Well, knowing her mother,"said Jack, "I know it was nothing complimentary. But Rose is not like that. Not like her mother. She had broken free of most of that."

"Mother will take care of her,"said Jay.

"Yeah, I know," answered Jack. "We have had a tough time and I know how comforting your mother can be."

"Just how long have you two known each other?"asked Jay.

Jack looked down. It was really almost embarrassing to tell other people, the short period of time since they had met and all that had transpired in between. But there was nothing embarrassing about their love.

"Twenty eight days. We met on April 12, though I really saw her the day before and couldn't take my eyes off her."

"Twenty eight days,"Jay repeated, "and you are already married. You were always kind of fast with the girls, Jack. She really must be special."

Jack got quiet again.

"She is very special. Most special than you can ever imagine,"said Jack softly.

Jay knew that Jack was not telling the whole story. And it was not like Jack to keep things inside. At least the Jack he had grown up with.

"Listen, Dad is busy and Mother is down there with Rose. Let's have a beer and catch up on old times. What do you say, Jack?"

Jack wanted to savor every moment of his visit here. Sitting down with his oldest friend and sharing a beer and talking about old times, sounded wonderful to him.

"Sure, Jay. I'll tell you what I done here so far. You remember those awful girls……"said Jack as he followed his friend into the kitchen.






about back-to-titanic.com | contact us