Introduction Audio What's New? Movie Clips Downloads Making Waves Interaction Writings Film Info Websites Historical Info Experiences Image Gallery Merchandise Artwork B2T Games Music Guestbook

Today in Titanic History - with Searching
Today in
Titanic History

Tuesday, October 22, 2024
1886 - 1st class survivor Mr George Achilles Harder was born to Victor Achilles Harder and Minnie Mehl Harder in New York City, New York, USA.

1974 - 2nd class survivor Mrs Antonine Marie Mallet died in Paris, France at the age of 86.

1888 - 3rd class passenger Mr Nils Martin Ödahl was born to Ola Öhdal and Hanna Nilsson.

1887 - 3rd class passenger Mr René Aimé Lievens was born in Heldergem, Belgium.

1926 - Able Seaman and survivor Mr William Henry Lionel Weller died in a shipwreck at the age of 44.

search other dates

Help B2T stay afloat!

Shop at Cafepress
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
more Titanic designs




Starting Anew: Chapter 40, Regaining Hope


Rated PG-13
© 1999 Shirley @ SDL747@aol.com
based on some characters
and situations originated by James Cameron

"Tonight Rose, we will have a special meal to honor you and Jack. I want to ask you something. I only want to do this thing if you feel comfortable."

Rose looked anxiously at Golden Moon, wondering what the question would be.

"I would be happy if you would accept an honorary name of my people as Jack has done."

Rose did not answer right away. She thought about how far she had come in leaving her past behind. Maybe this would be a good chance to shed her old life in a symbolic way.

"What do I have to do?" she asked.

"You just need to be yourself. And if you would like, you may wear one of my ceremonial dresses."

"Do you think Jack will approve? You don't think he will make fun of me for doing this?"

"On the contrary Rose. I think he will think even more highly of you," said Golden Moon.

"Alright," agreed Rose.

Golden Moon and Rose walked along the bank of the creek quietly picking berries. When they reached a spot that had two large boulders, Golden Moon stopped. She sat down on one of the boulders and took of her shoes and stockings.

"Would you like to do this too, Rose?" she asked.

"I would," said Rose as she looked longingly at the cool water. She was not frightened of this gently bubbling creek. In the past weeks, her fear of the water had haunted her, but she felt safe with this woman, in this quiet forest.

Rose also took off her shoes and stockings and pulled up her skirt. She sat on the other boulder and put her feet in the water.

The two women sat for awhile in companionable silence. The only sounds were of the gurgling water and the call of the birds. Golden Moon watched Rose who appeared to be lost in her own thoughts. She was going to honor Rose tonight with a name of her people. As she studied Rose, she tried to decide what would be appropriate. It would be something to help her get through the hard times ahead in her life.

Rose loved the way the water tickled her feet. It was cool, but not uncomfortable so, having been heated by the afternoon sun. She thought of what her mother would say if she could see her now, sitting barefoot in the woods, with a woman that Ruth would probably consider an undesirable companion. She still did not understand her mother. It would be wonderful to enjoy a day like this with her. But Rose thought that would never happen and she sighed sadly. She still had the chore of trying to work things out with her, when they returned to Denver. And when she told Ruth that she was pregnant, she was certain that her mother would become positively apoplectic. For now she was content to enjoy Golden Moon's quiet company.

After awhile she spoke to Golden Moon, "Please don't think that I am trying to patronize you, but I have to tell you something."

"Go on, Rose," she encouraged.

"All my life, I have been reminded to watch my behavior and live by certain standards because I was rich, privileged. Until I met Jack and he set me free from those ideas. But since then, and especially today with you, I see that you are the ones that should be envied for this peaceful, orderly life that you lead. Jack has been teaching me all the time about finding beauty in simple things. Today, with you, I have learned even more, and I thank you."

Golden Moon's opinions of Rose were confirmed after she heard this. She was a special person.

"Thank you. I am proud that you understand our lives and want to be a part of it. I wish I could teach you more. But maybe someday you will return," said Golden Moon.

"Oh, yes," agreed Rose, "I hope so."

Then Golden Moon face broke into a huge smile. The look was contagious and Rose started smiling too.

"What it is?" asked Rose.

"Do you remember what I said about a bath in the creek?"

"You mean like in a bathtub with no clothes?" asked Rose, her eyes widening.

"Well," laughed Golden Moon, "I don't think that even the white eyes take a bath with their clothes on.

Rose giggled nervously. She had never done anything like this before. But now it sounded like fun.

"I have brought towels and soap from the house," said Golden Moon.

Rose was beaming. What until she told Jack about this.

"Rose, that wonderful look that you have on your face now, is the way you should look all the time. You must put the past, whatever it is, behind you. You have life inside of you. If you feel joy, the baby will also feel joy. Let's get ready Rose. No one will see us."






about back-to-titanic.com | contact us