Introduction Audio What's New? Movie Clips Downloads Making Waves Interaction Writings Film Info Websites Historical Info Experiences Image Gallery Merchandise Artwork B2T Games Music Guestbook

Today in Titanic History - with Searching
Today in
Titanic History

Tuesday, October 22, 2024
1886 - 1st class survivor Mr George Achilles Harder was born to Victor Achilles Harder and Minnie Mehl Harder in New York City, New York, USA.

1974 - 2nd class survivor Mrs Antonine Marie Mallet died in Paris, France at the age of 86.

1888 - 3rd class passenger Mr Nils Martin Ödahl was born to Ola Öhdal and Hanna Nilsson.

1887 - 3rd class passenger Mr René Aimé Lievens was born in Heldergem, Belgium.

1926 - Able Seaman and survivor Mr William Henry Lionel Weller died in a shipwreck at the age of 44.

search other dates

Help B2T stay afloat!

Shop at Cafepress
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
more Titanic designs




Starting Anew: Chapter 53, The Last Storm, Part I


Rated PG-13
© 1999 Shirley @ SDL747@aol.com
based on some characters
and situations originated by James Cameron

Jack awoke shivering, despite the fact that the huge quilt was drawn up over Rose and himself.

"Fire in the stove must have gone out," he mumbled as his feet hit the cold floor.

He looked over at Rose. She was still sleeping, but he could tell it was not a restful slumber. He thought he heard her moan softly and her face grimaced slightly in pain. He stood up, careful not to trip over Byron, who was sprawled out on the rug, snoring and galloping in his sleep.

Jack just shook his head and smiled, "Wish I could sleep that well."

By the time he put more coal on the stove, bathed, shaved and dressed and headed downstairs to start breakfast, he could hear Rose stirring up in their room. He glanced out of the window and could see a dark sky in the west, over the mountaintops. Surely that was a sign of snow today. He hoped that their baby would wait a few more days. If he needed the doctor for Rose tonight or tomorrow, that weather could be a problem.

He had never said as much to Rose, but he was worried about her having this baby. She was so big, and the baby's movement had slowed down considerably. From what he remembered overhearing at his mom's tea parties, that could be a sign that her time was near. She was in good health, but still things could go wrong at the end. Anything could happen.

Just then Rose peeked her head into the kitchen.

"I smelled the food, so Byron and I decided to join you," she said smiling.

She was so awkward now that she almost waddled into the kitchen. Jack helped her get settled in the rocking chair by the stove and then let Byron out in the yard. He brought Rose a cup of coffee and a plate of toast.

"I'll make you some eggs or waffles if you want," he offered.

"No, I really am not that hungry. I don't know where to put myself, Jack," she said arching her back against the chair. "My back hurts if I sit or stand too long. Sometimes I think I'll be this way forever."

"The baby will come soon. You know what. And sometimes, I've heard the first one can be late," he said, as he crouched on the floor next to her chair.

"Jack, I'm scared. It's not moving so much. Something must be wrong."

"Don't worry, Rose," he encouraged, patting her hand. "I'm sure everything will be over soon. It'll be fine." He wanted to added the words, "I promise," but he knew better after all they had been through, that there were no guarantees in life.

"I hope so. I've never seen anyone as big as I am."

Byron was scratching on the back door wanting to come in and at the same time, someone was knocking on the front door.

"I wonder who that could be?" asked Rose, taking a nibble of her toast. "Mother doesn't usually come to visit until after lunch on Saturdays."

"I'll go see," said Jack, opening the door for the dog. "Come on, Byron."

Jack headed down the hall with Byron happily shaking the snow off as he went. Jack opened the front door and there stood Ruth, bundled from head to toe in her coat and several scarves. He was surprised to see her so early.

"Good morning, Ruth," he said, holding the door open for her.

Ruth cast a wary gaze at Byron.

"Is that monster going to let me in?" she asked, somewhat jokingly.

"Well, Byron is a bit protective of Rose these days. Just come in and let me take your coat. You're early today."

Ruth started taking off her outer clothes. While she did, said that she had come early because of the weather.

"I just thought that if I wanted to visit today, I better do it early. How is Rose?" she asked, with concern in her voice.

"About the same," answered Jack, as he hung Ruth's coat on the hall tree. "Though I thought I heard her moaning in her sleep. To tell the truth Ruth, if something were to happen today, I am just as glad you are here early," he replied quite sincerely.

Ruth looked up at her son-in-law. They had developed a truce of sorts in the last months. At least she now understood why she had so disliked him at first, through no fault of Jack's. He seemed to tolerate her still too frequent caustic remarks (something she was working on) and he treated her with the utmost respect. She had to admit that he took care of Rose like a queen.

"Come on, Ruth, Rose is in the kitchen. Say have you heard from Molly lately?" he asked. "We haven't seen her more than once or twice since May."

"I just got a letter from her," she told him. " She is in Russia now, and then she said something about India. Her experience on the Titanic, didn't seem to damper her enthusiasm for travel."

"No, I guess not. Maybe sometime, we'll go someplace, but I don't think that will be for a long while. I don't know if Rose will ever be able to get on a boat again," he said truthfully. "I'm not ready either to be honest."

"Yes," agreed Ruth. "It changed us all, didn't it Jack?"

He gave he a quick smile and nodded his head.

They reached the kitchen and Ruth went directly to Rose who was still in the rocking chair.

"Good morning, dear," she said, reaching down and giving Ruth a hug.

"Mother, you're early," Rose said, surprised at her mother's early arrival.

"Yes, I saw the storm coming, and I was afraid I would miss my visit," replied Ruth, accepting a cup of hot coffee from Jack.

"I'm glad you're here, Mother. I really mean that," said Rose sincerely.

Ruth's eyes misted over slightly. Some of her new friends in Denver had told her that things with Rose would improve if she just gave it time. And now it seems that her patience had been rewarded. After all her failures in life, she wanted so desperately to succeed at something.

Jack watched their interaction from the corner of the room. He liked Ruth and he was trying hard to overlook the sarcastic comments that she still made from time to time. One day when she really loosened up, she might be a lot of fun. Jack looked at Rose as she conversed with her mother. She was trying to appear normal, but something was distracting her. Then he glanced out windows. Since he had let Ruth in, the storm had progressed. Huge flakes were coming down and the wind had picked up. It looked like they were in for a heavy snow.

"I sure hope nothing happens with Rose today," he mumbled to himself.

"Jack, Mother, I think I want to go up and lay down," said Rose with a nervous tone to her voice.

Jack came over to help her stand. As she got up, Rose gasped. Jack felt his foot slide on the floor. He looked down at the puddle on the floor, then at Ruth and Rose. He took one more look at the storm that was rapidly developing. He knew that before it passed and the day was over, he and Rose would be parents.






about back-to-titanic.com | contact us