Introduction Audio What's New? Movie Clips Downloads Making Waves Interaction Writings Film Info Websites Historical Info Experiences Image Gallery Merchandise Artwork B2T Games Music Guestbook

Today in Titanic History - with Searching
Today in
Titanic History

Tuesday, October 22, 2024
1886 - 1st class survivor Mr George Achilles Harder was born to Victor Achilles Harder and Minnie Mehl Harder in New York City, New York, USA.

1974 - 2nd class survivor Mrs Antonine Marie Mallet died in Paris, France at the age of 86.

1888 - 3rd class passenger Mr Nils Martin Ödahl was born to Ola Öhdal and Hanna Nilsson.

1887 - 3rd class passenger Mr René Aimé Lievens was born in Heldergem, Belgium.

1926 - Able Seaman and survivor Mr William Henry Lionel Weller died in a shipwreck at the age of 44.

search other dates

Help B2T stay afloat!

Shop at Cafepress
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
more Titanic designs




Starting Anew: Chapter 9, Getting Started


Rated PG-13
© 1999 Shirley @ SDL747@aol.com
based on some characters
and situations originated by James Cameron

In her dream, Rose heard someone singing a very off key rendition of "Come Josephine in My Flying Machine." Rose slowly opened her eyes and what she saw did not surprise her.

There was the singer himself sitting on the edge of the bed, smiling. "Rose," he said, "you better get up. We have lots to do if we are going to get married on Saturday."

"Saturday?" gulped Rose. "This Saturday? That's in two days."

"Yep", answered Jack. "What do you think?"

"Well, I suppose so," responded Rose cautiously. When she saw that Jack looked a little worried with her slow reply she said, "Of course, I'll marry you Saturday. I love you." And she threw her arms around him.

"That's the way I feel", agreed Jack as he eagerly hugged her back. "Now come on and get up and have some breakfast. You need to get your strength back."

Jack went ahead into the next room and Rose put on her robe, her mind whirling. "Marry Jack on Saturday," she repeated to herself. How on earth could they get ready for a wedding in two days. Then Rose remembered that this would be very different from the event her mother had been planning for her marriage to Cal. But still two days? She had nothing suitable to wear. And where would they live? All these thoughts ran through Rose's head as she walked through the doorway of her bedroom.

Jack was seated at a small table eating. "Come on in, Rose," said Jack. " There is so much here to eat."

"Alright Jack. Breakfast was never my favorite meal. But I know you are right. I have to eat." She sat down and took a piece of toast and started nibbling on it. "Where is Molly?" Rose asked. She knew that these were Molly's rooms at the Waldorf, but since they returned last night she had not yet seen her.

"She's visiting some friends," explained Jack. " You know her grandson was sick, that's why she was hurrying home on the Titanic. But after we arrived in New York, she got a telegram saying that he's improved. Since you are better, she took a few days and headed out to Long Island to visit some friends. She'll be back in a little while."

Rose digested this information with a nod of her head. There was still much to talk about with Jack about their future. "Jack, how are we going to get along in the world. We have no money, no jobs. We can't live off of Molly's charity. What's going to happen to us?" asked Rose. "I want to get married, but what about the future."

"I knew you would be worried Rose," he began gently. "And I know you don't like taking charity anymore than I do. But just this one time, I think we should accept the help that has been offered. And then we can stand on our own. I'd like to try my hand at a job that's available at the Denver Post. It's not the kind of art of I love, it's illustrating ads, but it'll do for a start. And there is a small private school that needs a French tutor. Maybe you'd like that Rose?" he asked. " Molly told me there is even a little house she knows that we might rent. It's a good opportunity."

Rose put her head down and tried to think clearly. So much was happening to her all of a sudden. In a way it sounded as if her life was being planned for her again. But then she realized that everyone had to have some sort of plan to survive. Even if Jack had not been in her future, she would have to do something. "I could do that job," she said to herself, determined to make a go of things. "Let's try it Jack," she said. "My French is good. It will feel wonderful to do something useful for a change." Jack grinned from ear to ear and Rose too had a broad smile on her face. "I wonder what Mother would think of me as a working girl," thought Rose to herself.

"It's good to see you smile Rose. Look at us, we're in love and going to be married and we're so serious," said Jack. "But I think it will take a long time to get over what happened to us".

"I know Jack, but we are so lucky."

"Have you ever been to Denver?" asked Jack, changing the subject.

"No".

"Well," Jack continued, " the mountains are all around, the air is clear and at night you can reach out and touch the stars. It's a beautiful place Rose, a good place for us to start fresh." Jack stood up and took Rose's hand so she stood in front of him. He put his arms around her and whispered "I love you Rose. Are you ready to go out there and start our life together?"

"What do you think Jack?' and before he could answer her, she replied to his question with a kiss.

Jack groaned as he reluctantly moved apart from Rose. "I better get going," said Jack. "I have a couple of errands, but I'll be back to get you in about an hour."

"I'll be ready Jack," she answered. But he was already dashing out the door.






about back-to-titanic.com | contact us