Introduction Audio What's New? Movie Clips Downloads Making Waves Interaction Writings Film Info Websites Historical Info Experiences Image Gallery Merchandise Artwork B2T Games Music Guestbook

Today in Titanic History - with Searching
Today in
Titanic History

Tuesday, October 22, 2024
1886 - 1st class survivor Mr George Achilles Harder was born to Victor Achilles Harder and Minnie Mehl Harder in New York City, New York, USA.

1974 - 2nd class survivor Mrs Antonine Marie Mallet died in Paris, France at the age of 86.

1888 - 3rd class passenger Mr Nils Martin Ödahl was born to Ola Öhdal and Hanna Nilsson.

1887 - 3rd class passenger Mr René Aimé Lievens was born in Heldergem, Belgium.

1926 - Able Seaman and survivor Mr William Henry Lionel Weller died in a shipwreck at the age of 44.

search other dates

Help B2T stay afloat!

Shop at Cafepress
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
more Titanic designs




Starting Anew: Chapter 26, Future Plans and Past Thoughts


Rated PG-13
© 1999 Shirley @ SDL747@aol.com
based on some characters
and situations originated by James Cameron

Jack and Rose stood in the Men's Department of Marshall Field and Co. There was a growing pile of clothes on the wooden counter.

"Jack, who is going to wear all of that," asked Rose, pointing to the various garments. "There is enough for several people here. So far all we've gotten are things for you."

Jack was counting up what was in the pile. Two heavy flannel jackets, several woolen shirts, two pair of Levi's, and some heavy socks.

"I told you that you were not going to be a lady in Yellowstone, Rose."

She put her hand up to her open mouth.

"You can't mean that you expect ME to wear that, that stuff,"she said, a little of her old Philadelphia tone of voice coming through.

"Why not," he countered, laughing.

"Well, because, because I never saw anyone, any woman that is, dress in clothes like that. Riding clothes, yes. But this? I can't Jack."

She shook her head firmly from side to side.

"What happened to the girl who wanted to ride like a …,"he teased.

As usual, she could not resist his joking manner.

Skeptically, she asked, "Are you sure about this?"

"Trust me Rose, and besides, you'll look great in pants,"eyeing her from the waist down.

"Will that be all sir?"asked the tall, spare, sour looking man who worked in that section.

Jack checked the stack of clothes one more time.

"Boots, we need boots. Let's see,"as he glanced quickly at Rose's feet. "I think one pair in size 11 and the other a 7."

"Very good, sir. I'll get those for you and then add this all up. You know sir, that you've got two different sizes here,"said the clerk as he pointed to the shirts and pants.

"Yeah, well," said Jack, "some of it's for my friend."

Jack smiled at the man who gave him a rather polite, but suspicious look. He had heard about the motto of this store, "Give the lady (or in this case the gentleman) what she wants." Jack knew that there would be no more questions.

* * * * * * * * * *

Several hours later, Jack and Rose sat in the back of a taxi. They had purchased the clothes and an extra suitcase in which to put them. After depositing all of this in their hotel room, they set off to see Lake Michigan.

Jack had hired the taxi in front of the hotel and asked the driver to take them to the nicest spot along the shoreline. As they rode along Michigan Avenue and onto Lake Shore Drive, the taxi driver pointed out some of the sights along the way.

"See that tower just ahead?" he asked.

Rose and Jack's heads collided as they tried to get a glimpse of the limestone building.

"What is it?" they both asked at once.

The driver stopped on the side of the street. He turned to look at them.

"That's the old water tower and pumping station. Only structures right around here that survived the big fire. 41 years ago already. Time sure does fly."

Rose and Jack tried to look impressed. They really wanted to be alone and walk by the lake. But this man was trying so hard to please them and show off his city.

They continued driving for another two miles or so. There were many beautiful mansions in an area they passed through. They were told it was called the Gold Coast. Rose was reminded of the life she had left behind her, but instead of feeling sad, she felt relieved, free. Now that she was securely in a position to be with Jack and live life as they wanted, going back to an existence like that was the furthest thing from her mind. In fact, she felt sorry for the people who were stuck living such a regimented life.

* * * * * * * * * *

A few more minutes brought them into the area known as Lincoln Park. The driver let them out next to a walkway by the water.

"You'll be able to get either the trolley or a taxi to take you back, if you don't stay too late."

"Alright, thanks very much,"said Jack paying and tipping the driver. "Thanks for the tour too."

Jack took Rose by the hand and they stepped down to the pavement that followed the lake. Being a weekday it was quiet. But here and there were mothers and nurses with children and some older couples out walking. A few fishermen sat on the concrete wall, with their buckets of bait and bags of lunch next to them. The air smelled damp with an odor of fish and seaweed.

Neither of them had much to say as they strolled along the water's edge. They were happy to be alone, and away from the noise of the city. Here, there was only the occasional laughter of children and the quiet lapping of the water along the sea wall.

"Here Rose, this is a good spot. Let's sit down here."

He brushed the sand off the step that he pointed to and after he helped Rose sit down, he joined her. He put his arm around her and instinctively she put her head on his shoulder.

"Pretty here, isn't it" murmured Jack.

"Yes, yes, it is," answered Rose quietly.

They listened to the birds calling and watched the seagulls swooping around them. Jack had been waiting for the right moment to ask Rose about her father. He was curious about that part of Rose's life, a part that she had never spoken about. Rose was so different from her mother, that he could only assume that she was more like her father. He had a feeling that the emotions connected with him and his death were bottled up somewhere inside her.

"Rose, I need to know,"he began gently. "I need to ask you something, but only if you want to talk about it."

Rose lifted her head and looked at him. She was feeling so relaxed that again she had almost fallen asleep.

"What, Jack?"she whispered.

Jack held her hands tightly, before he began.

"Rose, tell me about your father."

She gazed into his eyes. No one had ever asked her to talk about him before. Mother had almost seemed happy to put that part of their life behind her. Rose was always afraid to bring up the subject. Now for the first time, someone actually cared enough to ask. And of course, it was Jack.

"Jack, I've never talked about him to anyone, since he's been gone. No one ever cared and mother actually told me to forget about all the things he and I did together, because she didn't want me acting like that anymore."

Her eyes were moist and she gripped Jack's hands even tighter.

"It's alright,"he urged. "I'm won't let go of your hand."

She looked at him again for reassurance. He nodded and she took a deep breath before speaking.

"Jack, you can't imagine how hurt I was when Mother had the funeral and didn't let me come home."

He listened patiently as the story unraveled of the sadness she had suffered at not being able to say goodbye to her father. Ruth had known he was dying, but never told Rose.

"We had some wonderful times, Jack. He made everything, even doing homework, fun. When he died, all of that was buried deep inside of me until now. I want to remember that happy part of my life. But until this moment, I've kept all that locked inside."

As Rose told him of her childhood, he could imagine the pretty little girl with red hair, flying kites in the park, feeding the ducks in the park and tramping through mud in the woods, off on some imaginary expedition. Apparently Edwin Bukater had been a fun loving man who doted on his only child. He had been determined to open the world to her so that she knew more than just the rigid routine of society life. He had battled with Ruth enough about that. But whenever she had time alone with Rose, she worked long and hard to rid her daughter of those foolish notions.

"I can just hear her saying over and over again, that proper young men don't want girls whose heads are in the clouds dreaming about looking for lost treasures. She assured me that I would never get a husband and have a secure life unless I settled down and conformed. I never paid any attention to her until Daddy died. Then when the money became an issue, I thought for awhile that she might be right."

She sat looking out at the water for a long time.

"You know, Jack, I think he would have liked you. In fact, I know he would have actually approved of you,"Rose continued, finally looking up at Jack.

"I think I probably would have liked him too Rose. I can see now where you get that fiery adventurous streak. And that is one of the things I love about you, Rose. You're not like anyone I've ever met. And that's what makes you so special."

He took out his handkerchief and began dabbing at her tears. Gently he kissed her hair.

"You know, we're going to be having lots of adventures in our lives," said Jack, as he paused to kiss her again, "and I'm glad that I married someone who wants to do those things. We're going to have a good life, Rose. We'll have to work hard, but we'll have fun too."

She leaned back against him and nodded. Gently, almost without thinking, she placed her hand on her stomach. Jack noticed this gesture and thought for a moment. This might be a good time, to get an idea on Rose's feelings for a family. So he continued.

"We'll have a family and lots of pets and a big house, and we'll try and make everyday an adventure. What do you say, Rose?"

Rose stood up and put her hands over her eyes to shield them from the afternoon sun. Jack also got up and stood with his hands on her waist.

"I'd like that Jack, and I know that my father would have liked this kind of life for me too. He and I were both misfits. Neither of us ever wanted to conform to those upper class standards. But we had been born into it, so everyone expected a certain kind of behavior."

She turned to look at Jack.

"I don't want our children to grow up in that kind of sterile, environment. I want them to yell and get dirty,"she said. "I want them to learn about everything and anything they want. I want them to be polite and have respect, but I want them to be free, Jack. That's what I want," she finished.

He rested his chin against her head and hugged her.

"Then that's how it will be,"he said, relieved to hear that Rose wanted a family. "In fact, we'll make our kids'childhood a real adventure. Something they'll always remember and talk about forever. How does that sound Rose?" he asked.

Between her tears and smiles, all Rose could do was nod. Jack had opened her heart even more today. The memories of her father were released at last. Maybe he HAD been looking out for her all these years and had sent Jack to her, to care for her and rescue her from the life she detested.

Whatever it was, or whoever was responsible, she had Jack and they loved each other. She looked toward the west, to the direction in which they would be heading tomorrow, and knew that she could now treasure the memories of her past and relish each moment as she made new ones with Jack.






about back-to-titanic.com | contact us