Introduction Audio What's New? Movie Clips Downloads Making Waves Interaction Writings Film Info Websites Historical Info Experiences Image Gallery Merchandise Artwork B2T Games Music Guestbook

Today in Titanic History - with Searching
Today in
Titanic History

Tuesday, October 22, 2024
1886 - 1st class survivor Mr George Achilles Harder was born to Victor Achilles Harder and Minnie Mehl Harder in New York City, New York, USA.

1974 - 2nd class survivor Mrs Antonine Marie Mallet died in Paris, France at the age of 86.

1888 - 3rd class passenger Mr Nils Martin Ödahl was born to Ola Öhdal and Hanna Nilsson.

1887 - 3rd class passenger Mr René Aimé Lievens was born in Heldergem, Belgium.

1926 - Able Seaman and survivor Mr William Henry Lionel Weller died in a shipwreck at the age of 44.

search other dates

Help B2T stay afloat!

Shop at Cafepress
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
more Titanic designs




Starting Anew: Chapter 5, Confusion


Rated PG-13
© 1999 Shirley @ SDL747@aol.com
based on some characters
and situations originated by James Cameron

Rose turned as Jack entered the room.

"Hello, Jack," she said, "you're early."

Well, I was eager to see you and get you out of here, and besides," he paused, "we have a lot to do today and a lot to talk about."

Rose's stomach did a flip-flop.

"Can he guess my mixed up feelings?" she wondered.

Rose smiled back nervously. She was still tired and weak from her ordeal and illness, but she was looking forward to finally getting outside today. This would be her first normal day since April 15. It was May 1. She shuddered. It she had not met Jack, she would still be engaged to Cal and her wedding would be just a little more than a month away.

Jack noticed her shaking and asked, "What's the matter?"

"Nothing," she replied hesitantly. "I guess I just still have a bit more recuperating to do."

Jack looked at her with those piercing eyes of his.

"You okay Rose?" he asked again.

"I guess so," she answered.

"Is this all you have to take?" asked Jack, looking at the small purse she carried.

"Yes," said Rose. "I don't know what happened to the clothes that I wore on the ship, and the hospital had things for me to use here."

Molly had brought over the dress she was wearing and told her that some more clothes and personal items awaited her at the hotel.

"Let's go then," said Jack, taking hold of her hand.

Rose nervously looked around the room. In a way, it represented a form of security. While she had been here, she really hadn't thought much about the future, just took things one day at a time. Now she had to face life and Jack.

She tried to give him a big smile as she asked,"So..what have you got planned for today?"

Jack looked at her thoughtfully. He had tried his best to plan a day that they would both enjoy. Thanks to Molly, he had some money to do this, but he was being careful not to waste a penny.

"First we'll take the tram to Central Park and have a nice walk there. Get you some nice fresh air. Then after that, lunch at a little cafe in the art museum, look around there for awhile and then we'll see how things go.

He led her out of the room and down the corridor as he continued, "If you aren't too tired, we can go out to eat, otherwise, we'll go back to the hotel."

Rose tossed her head with some of her old fire and asked," And just what do you plan to do there?"

Jack looked amused, but Rose regretted her words.

"Oh, God, I've done it again. Thrown myself at him."

When they reached the outside door of the hospital, Rose squinted in the bright sunlight and took a deep breath of fresh air. It had been several weeks since she had been outside and it felt wonderful. She had always loved being outdoors, but had never had much of a chance. In her circles, ladies were always inside at charity parties or other social functions. She recalled that she had often been in trouble at boarding school. When it was time to learn how to serve tea, or do some other useless activity, she had found it much nicer to go out for a long walk.

Jack looked over at Rose who appeared to be lost in her own thoughts. With a few more days of good food and fresh air, perhaps she would make a full recovery. But if he didn't get the answer he hoped for tonight, he knew his life would be far from complete.

As they got off the tram across from Central Park, Jack took her hand, not saying a word. They both took in the wonderful smells of the flowering bushes and trees. It was a perfect spring day. A perfect day for love to bloom.

Jack was wondering how Rose would react to the idea of becoming his wife. He wanted to have her forever, and was willing to sacrifice the life he knew to be with her.

Rose, too, was in her own world. She was grateful to have found someone like Jack. But would he turn her away because she was always so forward? Maybe men did not like women who were that way. What did he really think of her for giving himself to her before marriage? If Jack cast her aside, her reputation would be in shreds and no one would want her.

Jack wanted to say something to break the silence. But he was unsure as to what to say. He put his arm around her shoulder and he felt her stiffen.

"This won't do," he thought. "This isn't the way she is supposed to react."

He wondered what was wrong. She acted as though she was repelled by his touch. Then they both looked at each other. Jack's gaze penetrated her eyes. He was really afraid that his fears of losing her were going to come true. For what he saw in her eyes was fear and uncertainty. They both spoke at once.

"Rose." "Jack."

But he got more out.

"I think something is wrong here," he said to her.

Rose's eyes began to fill with tears.

"Come on," he said, heading for a bench. "Let's sit down. What's this all about?"






about back-to-titanic.com | contact us