Introduction Audio What's New? Movie Clips Downloads Making Waves Interaction Writings Film Info Websites Historical Info Experiences Image Gallery Merchandise Artwork B2T Games Music Guestbook

Today in Titanic History - with Searching
Today in
Titanic History

Tuesday, October 22, 2024
1886 - 1st class survivor Mr George Achilles Harder was born to Victor Achilles Harder and Minnie Mehl Harder in New York City, New York, USA.

1974 - 2nd class survivor Mrs Antonine Marie Mallet died in Paris, France at the age of 86.

1888 - 3rd class passenger Mr Nils Martin Ödahl was born to Ola Öhdal and Hanna Nilsson.

1887 - 3rd class passenger Mr René Aimé Lievens was born in Heldergem, Belgium.

1926 - Able Seaman and survivor Mr William Henry Lionel Weller died in a shipwreck at the age of 44.

search other dates

Help B2T stay afloat!

Shop at Cafepress
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
Buy this on a t-shirt!
more Titanic designs




Starting Anew: Chapter 7, A Quiet Afternoon


Rated PG-13
© 1999 Shirley @ SDL747@aol.com
based on some characters
and situations originated by James Cameron

After openly discussing their feelings for one another, Jack and Rose started to relax in each other's company. Rose perked up at the art museum. She was in her element and Jack was delighted as she guided him around to works of her favorite artists. He could see that she was enjoying herself and he was impressed with her vast knowledge of art. Rose had an unusual interest in the lives of the various artists. At least unusual for a person of Rose's sheltered upbringing. She knew who had mistresses and who had wives, who liked women and who did not. This was the surprising and amazing side of Rose that made her so special. Jack wondered if anyone else had ever realized that Rose had an insatiable curiosity about things or noticed that she was extremely intelligent.

Jack and Rose took their lunch and ate it in the garden sharing a sandwich and some fruit. Jack had warned her that if she felt well enough, they would be having a special dinner this evening.

They held hands and stole kisses in the deserted corridors. People looked at them enviously. Their pleasure in being together was obvious.

"Jack," Rose began, hesitantly, "when we were on the boat, you told me that you only had ten dollars to your name. How are you doing all this, lunch, dinner, everything, with so little money?"

Jack had told her earlier that Molly had been the one who had bought them new clothes, and provided them with a place to stay. But now he decided to tell her the rest of the story.

"Molly has been really good to us. Not only has she helped clothe us, bought me more art supplies and all the rest, she had also lent us some money to get started."

Rose gave him a puzzled look. But Jack went no further in his explanation. Rose sensed that she was missing something. She wondered just what Jack had in mind. Was he talking about a future? Their future together?

In the back of Jack's mind, the word propose kept flashing. He wanted to ask Rose to marry him, tonight actually. He had never imagined this happening so soon in his life, nor had he ever thought that he would meet a girl like Rose.

But soon he was about to plot a course for their lives in uncharted waters. They were so different, yet such soulmates, kindred spirits, really. Somehow, Jack thought things would work out. Hadn't there been vast differences between his parents. His mother had been a teacher with refined ladylike deportment. His father had been a farmer with a few rough edges, including the inability to read, until Edy taught him. But together there had been magic. She had kept up her gentle demeanor and his father had always deferred to her, careful never to offend her. Jack remembered many nights when he had peeked downstairs to see them embracing on the couch.

He smiled to himself. Strange things happen in life, and what could be stranger than the vagabond Jack, wanting to settle down with the sheltered, pampered and very amazing Rose, Dewitt-Bukater?

Rose yawned and said, "I am sleepy. I think I need some fresh air. Maybe we should go outside."

"To tell the truth," replied Jack, "I think I have had enough for today too. Anyway, if we are going to make it to the place I have in mind for dinner, we should start out. It could take 30 minutes to get there on the elevated."

"On the elevated?" echoed Rose. "I've never done that."

"Well, now is the time for us to start our adventures," said Jack and he swept his arm in front of him and motioned for Rose to go through the door first.

They walked to the elevated station and climbed the stairs to the platform. It was very crowded with people going home from work. Jack held Rose's hand tightly and kept her close to him. Rose's eyes were wide open as they got on the train. She was trying to see everything at once.

Sitting across from them was a thin woman with stringy hair. Her clothes, while clean were almost threadbare. Her shoes were patched. In her arms she carried a tiny squealing infant that was wrapped in a ragged blanket. Rose could not help staring. Never in her life had she seen such poverty, or anyone so pathetic looking.

Jack started to speak to her and realized that she was not listening. "Rose," he said, shaking her hand to get her attention.

He followed the direction in which she was looking. Now he understood her preoccupation.

"Rose," he whispered, "listen to me. I promise that I will never let that happen to us. Do you understand me? he said with emphasis. "Don't worry, Rose. I promise that everything will be all right for us. Do you believe me Rose?"

She looked at the woman and then at Jack again.

"Yes, I believe you. I really do."

She rested her head on his shoulder, putting all her faith in him.






about back-to-titanic.com | contact us